The funniest thing about the ugly Christmas sweater is that there was once a time when these sweaters were worn as Christmas fashion and not as a joke. What were we thinking? I like the way things are now, where people go out of their way to make their sweater as cheesy, tacky, shocking and ugly as possible.
We have compiled some tips and images to help you achieve ugly sweater greatness and host a great party to boot.
Types of Ugly Christmas Sweaters
2. Stick to the adage of “more is more”. An ugly sweater party is not the time to be understated or demure. Pile it on, go for color and don’t hold back!
3. Don’t be afraid to get a little sexy.
4. Take some advise from celebrities who no doubt spend thousands of dollars for stylists to find them the ugliest Christmas sweaters ever.
5. Let us not forget our friends that celebrate Hanukkah.
Tips for Hosting an Ugly Sweater Party
- Make Ugly Sweater Cookies and offer a variety of icings and candies for guests to decorate their own.
- Be very clear on your invitation that this is an Ugly Sweater Party and let your guests know in advance that there will be prizes awarded.
- Have a contest and award prizes for Ugliest Homemade Style, Best Store Bought Style, Best Personality Match, Most Original, etc.
- Play funny games such as “I Spy”. Have guests pull a card from a hat and try to find items like a blue Christmas tree bulb, a red bow, a wrapped present, a candy cane, etc. The items they spy must be worn by someone other than themselves.
- Set up a photo booth. Create a curtained off area and put a digital camera on a tripod. Set the timer so that when you press the button you a have 6-10 second delay to get your pose ready. Print them out as party favors and post them on your favorite social media website.
Even more fun than wearing one is shopping for one. What’s even better is making one yourself. To make an Ugly Christmas Sweater:
- Start with a solid colored sweatshirt or sweater.
- Go to the craft store or look around the house for garland, small ornaments, old lights, candy canes, small stuffed animals, small Santa hats, bows and anything else you desire that feels festive for the season.
- Get a glue gun, needle & thread, scissors and safety pins and have at it!
Make this year the one that begins a long standing tradition of the Annual Ugly Sweater Christmas Party.